Sunday, December 20, 2009

Velvet Christmas

This year, I had a great idea for a Christmas gift to give one of my friends. It was an idea so awesome, so massive, so merciless, that it required the help of many other friends to make it happen.

One of my friends is Kelly McCullough, who you may know as the author of the WebMage series. He has 4 books out now, with a 5th on the way. Kelly has been very lucky to have been paired with a terrific artist who created wonderful cover art.

I thought "what better gift for Kelly than to give him a larger version of his cover art?" Something he could hang on his wall. And so the idea was born. I immediately contacted a bunch of our other friends, to get them in on the plan.

The first book will always be close to Kelly's heart, so we picked that one. The art piece had to be special, not just a larger-scale reproduction of excellent cover art. There could only be one way to do this: it had to be a velvet painting. With the assistance of Bill Robison, I commissioned a velvet painting for Kelly.

We presented Kelly with that painting last night:


The reaction was priceless, all we hoped for:


I'd like to thank my fellow conspirators in the plan:

  • Laura
  • Sara
  • Ben & Steph
  • Nancy & Bill
  • Shari & Steve
  • Sean & Kat
  • Ben R
  • Rebecca

More pictures are available at Wyrdsmiths. Kelly lays at least part of the blame on John Scalzi, which is fair to do, as that is where I got the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment